The Local Offer

Skip to a section: Teaching and Learning | Annual Reviews | Keeping Children Safe | Health (including Emotional Health and Wellbeing) | Communication with Parents | Working Together | What Help and Support is available for the Family? | Extra Curricular Activities | SEN | Local Offer: For children and young people with SEN | Partnership Intervention Programme

Teaching and Learning

What additional support can be provided in the classroom?

At Broadwalk PRU we have a number of support staff who work with the young people to assist and support the teacher. This is often a Teaching Assistant (TA) (who is an additional member of staff) who works under the direction of a teacher or a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA). TAs work with small groups and on a 1:1 basis with pupils who need extra help with their learning and/ or behaviour. They try to do this by supporting their development of concepts and vocabulary and reinforcing the learning following a lesson. They will also provide opportunities to have additional practice in a particular subject area, or working through differentiated materials with them. TAs assist with developing pupils’ social skills give them strategies to help control their behaviour, if this is an area of difficulty. We have a teaching assistant assigned to each form group, as well as a learning mentor to support them until they move on to mainstream or specialist provision. If your child had a high level of TA support in their previous school or setting, we would like you to tell us. We have a team of 5 TAs who work across the PRU; 1 HTLA, 2 TA3s and 2 TA2s.

In addition to TAs we also have a team of Learning Mentors. 2 are pastoral mentors who work closely with the pupils offering support and one to one tutorials and 1 is a reintegration mentor, who supports pupils who are moving onto a new mainstream school as well as pupils who are having difficulties in their current educational provision.

At Broadwalk PRU class sizes are small in order to meet the needs of the pupils, this is to offer extra support and help them in class to make progress in lessons for their level.

What provision do you offer to facilitate access to the curriculum and to develop independent learning? (This may include support from external agencies and equipment/facilities)

All our teachers are required to plan lessons that all of pupils can access. When a young person starts at the PRU, they are expected to complete baseline assessments in English (which will include a spelling and reading test), Maths, Science and ICT. They will also complete a questionnaire on how they feel they learn best, this is called a learning style questionnaire. This assessment information allows the staff team to understand each pupil's starting point and to plan the next step for them. If a pupil has barriers to learning, the teacher will meet with the support staff to make adjustments to overcome them. Sometimes teachers need help to do this so they may work with another teacher who has more expertise in the subject being taught or they may ask the school's SEN Coordinator (SENCO).

The SENCO may carry out additional assessments or tests to find out more about the pupil’s learning difficulties so that the curriculum and teaching can be further tailored to enable them to make progress.

If the SENCO thinks we need more advice about how to help your child learn, we will talk to you about this. We sometimes ask for advice from other specialists, such as Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists or specialist Advisory Teachers whose expertise could be in a more specialised area for example Asperger’s Syndrome or ADHD. The advice these professionals give is used to inform teaching and learning. We record the strategies we are using in a Provision Map which is an individual plan for your child to help them to make progress and improve their behaviour. This will be written by a team of teachers and support staff within school. This will also be shared with you and evaluated on a termly basis.

Some pupils need particular pieces of equipment to help them work and learn more independently. In our school we have:

  • A range of different types of pens, pencils and grips to help with handwriting
  • Some pupils may need alternative means of recording so they sometimes use a laptop or computer
  • We have sets of coloured overlays that help some pupils see text more clearly

Staff specialisms/expertise around SEN or disability

The SENCO holds the National Award for SEN Co-ordination and has taught in Pupil Referral Units for over 10 years. She also has support and assistance from a pastoral mentor who also has a lot of experience in this area.

Some members of staff have undertaken ELKLAN training to support speech and language needs.All staff members are trained in Team Teach which means they are able to use de-escalation techniques in difficult situations; this also means that they are trained in using physical techniques and interventions if necessary.

Some staff have completed the learning modules in the Inclusion Development Programme (IDP). These cover Dyslexia, Speech, Language and Communication, Autistic Spectrum Needs and Behaviour, Emotional and Social Development

What ongoing support and development is in place for staff regards supporting children and young people with SEN?

Staff development needs are identified through performance management and appraisals. New techniques are discussed as part of our staff meetings on a weekly basis and they share good practice with each other. The pupils have behaviour logs and progress updates completed on a weekly basis, any pupils not making adequate progress in a month period will be discussed as a full staff team where we will look at alternative interventions we could use to remove the barriers of learning for a young person. This may be in one specific subject area or in a variety of subject areas.

At least one training day a year is dedicated to SEN. All staff are required to attend. Last summer this was around motivation in the classroom and boosting self esteem. This year will be team teach refresher training.

What arrangements are made for reasonable adjustments and support to the pupils during tests and SATs?

Our SENCO has particular expertise in dyslexia and identifies those pupils who meet the criteria for extra time or a scribe or reader

Staff who scribe or read for pupils receive training from the SENCO. Some pupils need rest breaks and these are arranged based on their circumstances, others may perform better in a separate classroom on a one to one basis.

Annual Reviews

What arrangements are in place for review meetings for children with Statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans?

When pupils come to the PRU with an Education, Health or Care Plan they are still on the roll of their host school, they will inform us when their annual reviews are due as part of their induction.

Pupils will have the opportunity to sit down with their assigned mentor to discuss their views which can be used to contribute towards the annual review; this can be done in an informal chat where the pupil can describe their thoughts and feelings. This will be done in a way that is appropriate for the child, either by writing things down, drawing pictures or through photographs where appropriate. The annual review will be carried out with a variety of different Educational and Health professionals and this is decided on an individual basis according to the needs of the pupil.

Parents will also be invited into school prior to the meeting to discuss their views with regards to their child’s provision and to see what is working and what needs to be done to help them to make progress in school. If the pupil is at a transition time where they are moving on to another school or key stage this will also be discussed to enable this to be as smooth as possible.

What arrangements are in place for children with other SEN support needs?

Pupils with SEN will meet up with their mentor on a weekly basis to discuss their progress and behaviour in class. The pupil’s form tutor and mentor will have regular contact with parents to discuss successes and weaknesses and support can be increased if we feel a pupil is having difficulties. This may be more support in the classroom or some, one to one work or could involve other agencies being involved to offer further support.

Keeping Children Safe

Risk assessments are completed from the host school where necessary; we also complete a risk assessment of all of our pupils when we have enough information about them (within their first month). This is updated on a termly basis as well as an assessment on the pupil’s personal / social /emotional and behavioural development. This enables the staff in school to take this into account when working with your child. These assessments are carried out by the pupil’s mentor and form tutors and other staff where appropriate. This information is shared with parents in the regular meetings we have with them.

At Broadwalk PRU we have daily handovers / briefings before and after the school day to discuss the pupils. Their daily points and behaviour is discussed on an individual basis and parents are contacted if there has been an issue or concern.

Some pupils are transported into the PRU and this is on a needs / distance from home basis. Pupils make their own way home unless it is on their EHC plan that transport is provided.

Bespoke arrangements can be made for individuals as well as the normal arrangements if it is deemed necessary and is part of their plan. For example if they need to have a reduced timetable where they come into school at a different time from the norm or if they access some alternative provision in addition to their lessons in school. This could be in a college or with the youth service.

What arrangements will be made to supervise a child during breaks and lunchtimes?

The pupils in the PRU are supervised at breaks and lunchtimes, there are also opportunities to use the ICT room or play table tennis during these times. These activities can be accessed by all pupils providing they are behaving in an appropriate manner. When dry, there is also a range of outdoor sports equipment available such as footballs, cricket equipment and skipping ropes. These activities are all supervised onsite.

How do you ensure my child stays safe outside the classroom? (e.g. during PE lessons and school trips)

Off site activities such as trips and PE lessons are a well structured and important part of our curriculum. There is always at least 2 staff on a trip with a group of pupils (no more than 8). This is a guide and depends on the needs and risk assessment of the pupils, sometimes the staffing ratio is one to one if necessary. If a pupil is a high risk when offsite then they may not be appropriate for this to happen, in which case they will be educated in school during this time.

Where can parents find details of policies on bullying

Link to school policy

Health (including Emotional Health and Wellbeing)

What is the school’s policy on administering medication?

Medication is discussed as part of induction, where forms are completed. This is done on an individualized basis depending on need. Letters are given out during induction to inform parents /carers that is their responsibility to let us know if the medication is to change. Medication is kept in a locked drawer and is only accessible by the administrator and the member of staff allocated to administer and record the dosage given.

How do you work with the family to draw up a care plan and ensure that all relevant staff are aware of the plan?

When a care plan is required this is discussed between health professionals and parents are informed of this where appropriate.

There is a school nurse called Terri who does health checks with pupils in school. She is available on the phone if any advice is needed re health concerns and issues may they arise.There are 2 trained first aid members of staff. Any pupils needing specialist care for an existing medical condition would be assessed on an individualised basis and staff would seek training where required.

What would the school do in the case of a medical emergency?

If there was a need for a pupil to have a care plan with regard to Emergency care and procedures, this would be carried out on an individualised basis and all staff would be made aware of this where appropriate.

If an unexpected medical emergency arose, all staff and pupils are aware of who the first aiders are.Due to high staff to pupil ratio the other pupils would be removed from the scene ensuring the safety of staff and pupils where possible.

How do you ensure that staff are trained/qualified to deal with a child’s particular needs?

All staff are trained to deal with pupils with SEN and behavioural difficulties. Should there be a pupil with a medical condition attending the centre; appropriate training would be provided prior to their start date if required.

Which health or therapy services can children access on school premises?

Health and therapy services are offered through the Salford Health Referral team and are not accessed on site.

Communication with Parents

How do you ensure that parents know “who’s who” and who they can contact if they have concerns about their child?

During induction the parents / carers will meet with the pupil’s mentor, after initial assessments are completed they will be allocated a form tutor who will phone up to introduce themselves. If the pupil has an EHC plan they will also meet with the SENCo to discuss their child’s needs.

Do parents have to make an appointment to meet with staff or do you have an Open Door policy?

Parents can ring and make an appointment to come to speak to staff when necessary.

How do you keep parents updated with their child’s progress?

Parent review days are arranged at the start of each term (3 times a year). However if we have any concerns regarding the progress your child we will contact you to discuss. A pupil’s provision map of education is discussed with the parents so that they are aware of their child’s levels and progress being made.There is an assembly in school every Friday where pupils can receive certificates to reward good progress and behaviour.

How can parents give feedback to the school?

Parent feedback sheets are completed between staff and parents on review day and are kept on file. Also if a parent comes into school for a meeting with the mentor or form tutor this is recorded and kept on the pupil’s profile. Every time a parent is contacted this is recorded in the school office.

Working Together

Do you have home/school contracts?

Parents and pupils sign a contact and code of conduct during their induction to Broadwalk PRU; they also sign a student contact to say that their rights and responsibilities will be adhered to. This is to ensure that both parties will work together to provide the best possible outcome for the child.

What opportunities do you offer for children to have their say? e.g. school council

We run a student council meeting, which meets every half term and has a representative from each form group present. Pupils have the opportunity during form time and mentor sessions to discuss any concerns or suggestions they may have.

What opportunities are there for parents to have their say about their child’s education?

Parent view is very important within the PRU. The curriculum is tailored to the individual needs of the pupil. All pupils have access to the core curriculum however this can be supported by some alternative provision if it is deemed to be beneficial to them.

What Help and Support is available for the Family?

Do you offer help with completing forms and paperwork? If yes, who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?

Parents are offered as much support as they need to complete forms and other documentation. Where there are known literacy difficulties staff are on hand to ensure that all information is passed on in an appropriate manner.

What information, advice and guidance can parents access through the school? Who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?

Parents can speak to form tutors / family liaison officer / mentors if they require further support from external agencies and can offer guidance with regards to filling in forms or referrals where necessary.

How does the school help parents with travel plans to get their child to and from school?

Broadwalk offers transport from some areas within the authority depending on bus route and distance. This will be discussed during induction. If this is not applicable, travel plans will be discussed with pupils / parents if they need support with this. All pupils make their own way home. If the pupil has an EHC plan, it maybe that transport is provided if deemed appropriate.

Extra Curricular Activities

Do you offer school holiday and/or before and after school childcare? If yes, please give details.

The school day starts at 9:00am, however the pupils can access the ICT suite from 8.45am where required.

What lunchtime or after school activities do you offer? Do parents have to pay for these and if so, how much?

The family liaison officer can offer advice with regard to out of school / holiday activities. We also have close links with the Inclusive Youth Support Service who can offer further advice / guidance on activities / schemes available in the local area. Lunchtime activities are free to pupils and include ICT club, table tennis and outdoor sports (weather permitting).

How do you help children to make friends?

Due to the nurturing environment and high staff to pupil ratio, the PRU is conducive to positive relationships throughout. We also offer extracurricular day’s offsite which is to promote team building and raising self esteem.


How is our SEN provision funded?

Our funding is determined by formula, based on a variety of factors including individual needs.

Link to LA funding document

Link to information about pupil premium

Link to SEN Information Policy (Can be found on documents page)

Describe your school’s governance arrangements for SEN funding allocation

We are in the process of establishing a fully functioning Management Committee, which is the PRU equivalent of a Governing Body. One member of the committee will be designated as the SEN Representative who will monitor the arrangements for the SEN funding allocation.

Local Offer: For children and young people with SEN

More information can be found here:

Partnership Intervention Programme

As part of our Local Offer we now provide a short term intervention service to Salford mainstream secondary schools as a way of helping prevent exclusion.


The aim of the PIP is to offer a half term placement to pupils who may be on the verge of exclusion. 

What does the programme entail?

Pupils are referred by their mainstream school and will, on acceptance, be invited to attend an induction meeting along with a parent/guardian and a liaison from their origin school. At this meeting consent forms and contracts will be agreed and signed and a tour of the building will take place. At this point any worries or concerns can be addressed.

On a daily basis pupils will be taking part in a timetabled curriculum which includes the core subjects of English and maths but also offers more opportunities for enrichment subjects such as PSHE, Art and PE.

During the programme we offer strategic pastoral care to find out each pupils' individual behavioural triggers and try to coach strategies to enable them to handle what they deem stressful situations better on returning to their origin school. 

During the programme we offer strategic pastoral care to find out each pupils' individual behavioural triggers and try to coach strategies to enable them to handle what they deem stressful situations better on returning to their origin school.

As part of being a partnership with schools an interim meeting will be held half way through the programme with the pupil, parent/guardian and school liaison to highlight any updates and then again on the pupils'' return to school.

For their first few sessions (or agreed number) in school a liaison from the PIP will accompany each pupil so they do not feel isolated or unsupported. In this way we can continue limited support to ensure strategies are being used by both the school and the pupil which will hopefully have the designed outcome of a full school career.

Lead Liaison: Mrs Lauren Walker

Address: PIP, Dean's Primary School (Former), Vicarage Road, M27 0WA

Contact number: 0161 921 1309

Back to top